Saturday 4 December 2010

The Worst Torture

Oh wow, second post! Who ever thought it'd get this far?

I did succeed in staying up all night, and I have concluded that sleep deprivation must be the worst form of torture - not that I've ever experienced anything extremely painful in my life, so for all I know one of the more painful ones could be worse. Regardless, at this moment I think sleep deprivation is a torture I could least stand. It is like a literal compulsion, I think, when one really needs sleep, and attempting to ignore it obviously feels pretty horrible.

Still, I did succeed, so I'm eagerly awaiting an early night tonight, and hopefully a more sensible sleeping schedule. This situation, then, leads me to reflect what happens when I'm lazy: namely, I tend to loose all sense of what is a reasonable amount of work not to do, and go back to bed. I'm really very bad with work, I tend to go to lectures/seminars etc. only if I have to (most of the time) and almost always leave work right until the last minute. With all that in place, it really doesn't take much of a slip to put me behind in my work.

Why am I like this? Bad habits, in all honesty. Without wanting to sound elitist or anything, I never had to put much effort in at school, and so I got used to being lazy about things. The funny thing is, this style has never failed me - well, I mean, it almost did this week, but beyond that I've done rather well in life. I got four As at A Level and am now at a top university, so I suppose it's not all bad. I think I'll change if I ever have to - my current attitude to work was born out of circumstance, so I think I could create a new attitude if necessary. For now, though, I sort of like things like this, 'Work gets done in its own time,' has been my motto for a while, and it has held true so far.

So, what's my conclusion here? 'I'm terribly lazy, but it hasn't really harmed me so I quite like it,' about sums it up, I feel.

No comments:

Post a Comment